Welcome to my big new world. One of big surprises, big tears, big blessings, big fear, big love, big laughter and great big hope. My name is Angela and if you haven't heard already, I have one very special ass.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

What'll I Do?

"Bucket lists" tend to quickly find their way into a cancer-fighter's mind (it did with me, anyway) and becomes kind of a living/breathing thing. GrowiNG, chaNging, jumping around in order of importance.  Mine, for example, started with 1) recording an album for my family and friends.

For the past few months I've been rummaging through material ~ from torch songs, to lullabies, to Delta blues, to spirituals ~ in an attempt to narrow my selections down to a beautiful seven and as late as Tuesday afternoon, was working on the chord progression to one of my all-time favorites on the keyboard. 

If any song could be defined as 'drop dead gorgeous,' it would have to be Irving Berlin's  "What'll I Do?" (1923.) I was ironing out one specific chord in the chorus (was it an Am7?) when Bruce insisted that we hit the road for Temple. (Kinda important medical testing starting early the next morning. :))  So I had to leave my almost-finished project on hold.

Okay, fast forward with me to Wednesday, March 2, 10:50AM.  
I had completed my PET scan earlier that morning and Bruce and I had killed an agonizing hour and a half by driving around Temple, and had just entered the gastrointestinal oncology waiting room in the Mabee Clinic at Scott & White for my 11:00 appointment with Dr. Wong.  The plan: He was going to examine me to determine if any cancer remained and perhaps read a preliminary radiology report regarding the scan if it was available, which was doubtful.

We hadn't been seated for a minute in the waiting room when I thought I heard something vaguely familiar come faintly across their Muzak system.  At first, I couldn't make it out, but within seconds, chill bumps ran all over me and tears filled my eyes. "What'll I Do" was playing.

I know. Out of a zillion songs that could have played in that tiny little time frame . . .

What a moment. What an unbelievable, perfect moment.

I listened quietly, trying to catch my breath ~ not wanting to break the magic, and just as it ended, my name was called.

Dr. Wong was surprised that he got a full, complete radiologist reading within just over an hour.

"Radiology never turns around reports this quickly," he said, "it usually takes a couple of days."

I watched his eyes scan over his computer monitor, my heart racing.  As he slowly looked up and over into my eyes, I knew.  I just knew.

And then he smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linda Ronstadt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oIcTh604
Judy Garland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcUArjHxHI&feature=related
Julie London
Rosemary Clooney


2 comments:

  1. hey angela.... good news, good blog, sounds like you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete