Welcome to my big new world. One of big surprises, big tears, big blessings, big fear, big love, big laughter and great big hope. My name is Angela and if you haven't heard already, I have one very special ass.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hollis

Yesterday, Monday, November 22

I had just registered at 7:45 am in radiation oncology to have a couple of more x-rays prior to me starting radiation treatment today, Tuesday.  I was a little nervous since I was starting chemo a later that morning and welcomed the quiet solitude that an early morning waiting room presented.

Bruce and I were looking over my schedule for remainder of November, when, like a SNL skit cue gone bad, entered this beast of a man from stage left.

"Hey honey," he loudly called across the room to the receptionist, "You got any of yer good 'ol coffee made yet?"  He threw his jacket over the chair in another area of the waiting room.

This thirty or forty something old guy had his hat on backwards, a missing front tooth, his tee-shirt sleeves cut out and with it not quite covering his self proclaimed 320 lb. frame, primarily from his navel to his salad plate sized belt buckle.

'Honey' didn't respond, but that didn't stop him.

"I'd been late if my aunt hadn't called me to wake me up.  Did I tell ya she was gonna buy me a brand new '99 Pontiac?  It's comin' from Odessa."

Still, no response from 'Honey.'

About the time he was discovering a full pot of coffee in the corner, a doctor walked through the waiting area and they exchanged 'good mornings.' And then this guy loudly tells the doctor, who obviously doesn't know him, the good fortune regarding the gift from his aunt. I winced and wished that he would just shut. it. up.

Bruce sensed my discomfort, and I knew he shared it with me. Then he turned and our eyes met.

"How er ya'll this mornin'?" he howled across the room. 

I just smiled, faintly said "just fine" and quickly went back to the schedule, in my head chanting and maybe even whispering outloud, "Do not come over here. Do not come over here. Do not come over here."

I elbowed Bruce as he grabbed his jacket and headed our way. No! Crap!

He plopped down across from us and again repeated the story of the Pontiac gift, as if we hadn't heard it the first two times. 

He said, "My name is Hollis" with Bruce and I acknowledging him silently, but not daring to offer ours.  I was annoyed and wanted to be left alone.

I caught 'Honey' looking my way and grinning.

"Do you wanna see a picture of my dead dog?" he asked me without hesitation. I immediately thought this had to be a joke.  Were we on Candid Camera? I couldn't find the words to respond. 

Finally I asked, "Hollis, is your dog dead in the picture?"

"Well, no ma'am.  This neighbor kid and I kinda had words the other day and when I left the house, he came over and kicked my dog right between the eyes and kilt Sweetie on the spot.  But this picture was taken before he done that.  I have it as my wallpaper on my phone.  My daddy called me and said, 'Hollis I hate to tell you this but yer dog is dead.'  He tolt me I'd better not do anything stupid so I had to simmer down before I got back to the house.  And when I got there, shore 'nuff  there she was. Deader than dirt."

UNbelievable. So politely, I looked at his picture of Sweetie, which was a cute little Pomeranian.  As soon as he took the phone back he shot out a series of questions/statements, without waiting for any response.  (Bruce whispered that he didn'nt need us, he could easily carry on a conversation with himself.)

"I weigh 320 pounds and told my mama that that I had to lay off the chicken fried steak."  My thought:  Really.

"I'm comin' here for the radiation. R ya'll here for the radiation?"  My thought: No we're here for the atmosphere.

"The hardest part is the waitin." My thought: The smartest thing he's said so far.

And last, but oh-so not least . . .

"Do ya'll know the worst part of your body to get an operation on?"

Silence.

"It's yer head.  When they saw into yer brain, thangs can go South real quick."

I thought Bruce was going to fall out of his chair.  Well, that explained it. For whatever reason, at that moment my heart melted and I thought of Mother Teresa of all people.  She would have told him her name.  She would have gone and sat beside him and perhaps held his hand. 

So, although I am by no means anywhere close to being MT, I did tell Hollis my name, and felt horribly guilty that I was initially so uncomfortable and irratated by him. And yes, I fell short (waaaaay short) of taking his hand,  but I did smile and thanked God for sending Hollis to me that morning.

Hollis made his way back over to the coffee pot and said to the receptionist, "Honey, did you know I'm gonna to be suin' my neigbors?  All I want is enough money to buy me a new dog."

Soon after, I was called back for x-rays and left Bruce in the waiting room with Hollis still 'a talking.

He told me later, his eyes filling with tears of of laughter, that Hollis had asked him where we lived and when he responded, "San Angelo" Hollis said,

" I been to San Angelo once.  I just love that Sea World."

:)

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes blessings come in the weardest packages.Some of my fav. patients in my nursing career,were the ones I really didnt want to talk to at first.God always has a way of making you feel like maybe your problems are not quite as bad as it could be.Sometimes I think they are angels that God is sending to somehow in the mist of it all.... soothe you!The Dr told Johnny one time that I had a brain tumor and I was most likey going to die from it...I was having seizure after seizure and they just couldnt stop them.Johnny picked me up put me in the wheelchair and we sat outside ...and cryed.
    I thought many many thoughts and you know what???It was just scar tissue from an old head injury I had when I was a child.I wasnt dying..and you know what...I wouldnt trade that moment with Johnny outside for nothing in the world.maybe it wasnt the greatest way to get close,but we figured out real fast...anything could happen at anytime.it made us so close.you and your hubby will look back on all of this misery one day and you will say the same thing.God will heal you from this cancer.You are now one of his workers...:) your telling your story and saving lives...your an angel!!thats why your name is Angela :) (dont forget my google account is under BRITT)thats my daughters name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at first i laughed at hollis' story. then i cried. i have a sister (tina, i don't know if you remember her or not) she had a car accident 11 years ago that caused a traumatic head injury....she and hollis would make a perfect couple! she looks the part also, as she was a drug abuser up until the night of the accident, so she has poor dental work and just that crazed look in her eyes. she can be such a hoot at times! she can also break your heart. God doesn't afflict only the rich or poor with dis.ease. He is no respecter of education or race when it comes to pain. I only wish I had learned these lessons 30 years ago, ya know??

    Have a blessed thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for sharing such personal stories. Life lessons are forever forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hollis is my kind of angel. I wonder if he is even real . . .kind of like those stories you hear about people who appear out of nowhere at on a highway to render aid and then disappear into a fog never to be seen again. :)

    ReplyDelete