Welcome to my big new world. One of big surprises, big tears, big blessings, big fear, big love, big laughter and great big hope. My name is Angela and if you haven't heard already, I have one very special ass.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Smarty pants


Sometimes I think I'm so damn smart.

"Eat clean to starve that mass, don't lose muscle, gargle with salt and baking soda water prior to chemo, fast before chemo so the good cells hibernate, up your iron by eating iron-rich vegetables, take vitamin C and pray a whole lot . . .  and Angela, you won't have all of those side effects," I have been telling myself consciously and
subconsciously at various times over the past few weeks.

~~ HA! ~~  it's quite clear to me now that I have this tendency to be a cancer Diva.  If I do all the right things, I will be above any chemo side effects? Not like those other cancer patients who aren't  as on-the-ball as I am.

Welllll, so far, the Diva approach isn't working so much for me.

I got a couple of mouth, ears and nose sores last week, my hair is falling out EVERYwhere, I've had bizarre rashes in bizarre places, I get tired in the afternoons, although my appetite hasn't waned much, my tastebuds are 'off,' I continue to have a low grade temp . . .AND  my bloodcount has fallen such that daily radiation has been postponed until at least Monday which means my treatment will be extended to the first of the year.  (I wear the pictured mask in order to stay germ free while my blood counts are low ~ allowing me to act out this surgical nurse thing I've been harbouring for quite some time. Bruce Halfmann would love it if only he were here.)

I've learned my lesson.  I am not above treatment side effects. The only expectation I hold at the point is to be healed through God's love and grace. 

So I suppose I can trash the eye of newt, and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog, adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, lizard's leg, and howlet's wing that I was planning to throw in a boiling pot for a spell-binding breakfast . . .and like Aretha in that commercial, eat a Snickers instead.

I was never much for bat wool anyway.

2 comments:

  1. just throw yourself at God's mercy and ask 'em to pass the bat wool (just in case) and remember you have the prayers of many of us much-less-than-saints on your side working for you girly. go get 'em. (attitude DOES make a diff and you def have a great one). <3 to you.

    ReplyDelete