Welcome to my big new world. One of big surprises, big tears, big blessings, big fear, big love, big laughter and great big hope. My name is Angela and if you haven't heard already, I have one very special ass.

Friday, December 31, 2010

More on earth angels

On this journey I've encountered unexpected angels, like Hollis, who have shown themselves when I needed them the most.  It's been an interesting study.  

Those who have previously been just social acquaintances have ended up being some of my biggest cheerleaders and now most special friends.  Family members have gone above and beyond showing their love in so many ways.  A congregation has given in such a surprising and most appreciated form.  Friends and family who I haven't seen in years, even decades, have taken road trips to see me. Best friends have become sisters and one angel, who I met about the time I was diagnosed, has become a soulful, spiritual leader to me . . .

And then there are others who I've been such close friends with as little as eight weeks ago who have distanced themselves for reasons unknown.

A wise man told me back in early November that I would see these types of relationships unfold and that is when he shared the Miller Williams poem that I posted earlier to this blog.

I recite aloud the following lines as a reminder when I begin to miss and even resent those absent friends:

You do not know what wars 
are going on down there
where the spirit meets the bone.

And then I let it go.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Angela. This quote is from one of my favorite poems.

    "Have compassion for everyone you meet even if they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone." --Miller Williams, Ways We Touch -12th Volume

    ReplyDelete